- Established in 1903 as Public Works Department.
- Bifurcated as Building & Roads (B&R) Department and Irrigation Department in 1955.
- Public Health Engineering (PHE) established in 1970.
- Renamed as Communication & Works (C&W) Department in 1979.
- Communication & Works (C&W) Department merged with Public Health Engineer Department to for “Works & Services (W&S) Department on July 01, 2001.
- Again bifurcated in 2009 as Communication &Works Department and Public Health Engineering Department.